Absolutely! A quality camp quilt such as the Alton Ultralight Top Quilt offers an impressive warmth-to-weight ratio, versatility and comfort, making it an excellent choice for camping. Quilts give you insulation where it is most effective, on top and around you, while leaving it off where it is compressed (and ineffective) underneath you. Along with the lack of a zipper, this design feature contributes to camping quilts having excellent thermal efficiency without excess weight.
Camping quilts can be used open or cinched up around you, allowing you to adjust your sleep setup to the conditions. This also makes it easy to regulate your temperature, contributing to overall sleep quality. And, because camping quilts cover the whole mat surface area, they are fantastic for side sleepers or anyone who likes to spread out and get comfy when sleeping wild.
There are some key differences between camping quilts and sleeping bags, but ultimately both serve the same function: keeping you warm in the wild.
In a nutshell, sleeping bags have a zip, allowing full enclosure, and this draught-proof and full-coverage design provides maximum warmth – albeit at the cost of a little additional weight and bulk. Sleeping bags are a great choice if you like to feel tucked in and super cosy.
In contrast, camping quilts are zipperless and backless, prioritising insulation where it is the most effective over the top of you, often using an attachment system to fit onto your mat, reducing potential heat loss from draughts. Quilts are lightweight and compact while still keeping you toasty.
We have an entire blog post devoted to the sleeping bag vs camping quilt debate; check it out for a detailed breakdown of the unique benefits of each design.
Here are our setup tips to get you started with our Ultralight Top Quilt:
- Unpack your quilt and remove the attachment straps.
- Inflate your sleeping mat and lay your quilt over it. Take note of the attachment anchors on the quilt and where you will place the straps in the next step.
- Slide the attachment straps over your sleeping mat.
- Clip your quilt to the bottom attachment strap.
- Get in and clip in your quilt to the upper two attachments, keeping the quilt in place over you all night.
- Make further adjustments as needed. For maximum warmth, you can fasten the top collar of the quilt behind your neck and cinch it tight using the two toggles. Unclip one or both sides of the top attachment strap for more airflow.
Watch our video on how to use your Alton Ultralight Top Quilt to see this guide action!
All our products here at Alton are covered by a Lifetime Warranty* against manufacturing defects, our All Good Guarantee. This our commitment to you that your Alton gear will perform as it should for as long as you own it – if not, we’ll repair it or replace it for you.
Check out our best-selling camping gear online now, with free shipping for orders over $100AUD within Australia and $150USD in the USA. Learn more about our global shipping and delivery rates here.